Thursday, December 31, 2015

2015 Year in Review

2015 was the year I went all in on triathlon. Funnily, I still think of myself as a runner first, despite that possibly being my least favourite of the three sports at the moment. But I think having successfully done five triathlons this year, and training all three sports 3+ times per week, I am officially a real triathlete. I even updated the blog header recently to reflect that change (it was a lot of fun going through the photos from the year, and kind of hard to narrow them down to my favourites.)

The yearly stats from Strava (more or less - not really sure of the accuracy of the bike numbers, since I assume that includes trainer rides and the Zwift ones exaggerate the distance 'traveled' a bit. But it's in the right overall ballpark).

Damn. Should have looked more closely at the swim stats at the beginning of the week, I could have cracked 180k!

That's a whole lot of time on the bike!

Less running than previous years, but I feel like I still got faster and stronger as a runner. Cross training, woo!

Biggest surprise: How much I love swimming.


Building swim endurance was quite a process, but now that I'm capable of knocking out 2000m in a session without thinking about it much, swimming is so satisfying. I thought swimming was going to be a necessary evil to get me to the good part (the bike!), but instead I find myself eagerly anticipating my swim workouts, and especially looking forward to getting back into open water in the spring. It's just fun! Plus it's an area where I have a lot of room for improvement, and it's always nice to see those incremental gains happening.

Favourite race: Barrelman



Ha, like there was going to be any other answer to that. I started 2015 feeling like a half iron was out of the question. Too long, too hard, no way would I be ready. But then by June I knew I could do it, and by race day I knew not only could I finish it, I could finish it strong. It was probably my best executed race ever, and I loved every minute.

Favourite non-race accomplishment: Imperial century ride



This was one of my goals for the year - ride 100 miles. We had a great route, great company, and it was very satisfying to check this one off the list. (Runner up on this one was my first ever 3k open water swim - aka the swim that made me realize that at least the swim portion of a full Ironman someday is totally doable).

Best purchase: Tri club membership


OK, so the tri bike would be the more obvious choice, but since she joined the family late in the year she hasn't had that big an impact yet. Instead, I have to give the nod to joining the Iron Canucks. The club meant I could almost always find a partner for open water swim practice, and I got to meet some amazing people. And there's something pretty awesome about being in team kit at races - you get cheered for by your teammates, and you just feel that much more legit. Memberships now available for 2016!

(honorable mention to my Trainerroad subscription here - it was hard to pick between the two of them, because I wouldn't want to give up either!)

Most satisfying PB: Mississauga 10k

Post race with my favourite running partner, my husband. As the kids get older it gets easier for us to run together! And he now has a bike, so riding together too.
Although I PBd at ATB, in retrospect I don't think I executed that race as well as I could have. Going 50:30 at Mississauga in a well-executed race was a big mental boost going into a summer of hard tri training.

Most fun: Training with the girls on Northshore in the winter

Yeah, we're totally adorable. Me, Nicole, Sam, Ivanka.
"Ugh we need to slow this down." "Yeah, this is too fast." (pace goes from 5:25/km to...5:27/km)

Such good times last winter! I hope I can hit those paces again this winter!

Thing I'm looking forward to the most in 2016: Muskoka 70.3 and going for a course PB at Barrelman

Couldn't pick just one :) And those would be why I'm training like a crazy person right now!


It's been an amazing year - now it's on to 2016 and even bigger and better things.

4 comments:

  1. What a great year. Can't wait to see what you do in 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just wonderful, how well you've done and how much fun you've had doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing year, Emma! It's been a treat watching your progress. Can't wait to see what 2016 has in store for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic year you had in 2015, Emma! I know that 2016 will be just as amazing and fulfilling for you as your attitude makes it so. All the best and I'm happy to follow along and train onside you again!

    ReplyDelete