Monday, June 18, 2018

Ironman training week 24 - recovery

Much needed recovery week this week. And due to starting my plan a week early to allow for potential issues (mostly I was worried about getting sick), I now have a free week in my schedule I have to figure out, which is really a good problem to have. Next week I'll start the specialty plan for the final push to Tremblant, so this week is about a little more recovery and maintenance. And then doing my first tri of the season on Saturday!

Swim: 7400m
Bike: 154 km
Run: 43 km

A down week but still 12 and a half hours of training. Yeah, this whole thing is really dumb. As I told the girls this morning, for the fall I'm just going to train for 5ks.

(probably not)

(but that's a bit appealing right now)

Monday: rest

Tuesday: 2100m swim; TR Jobs -2

Just a girl in her paincave with a mini crockpot lurking over her shoulder.
Nothing too exciting. With it being recovery the Trainerroad workout was only 4 intervals long, which felt super manageable. Still a good workout, though.

Wednesday: 8.5k run

This felt like a slog. I was really glad I wasn't doing any sort of mid week long run this week! I didn't even stop to take any pictures!

Thursday: 2750m swim; TR Sill + 8.5k brick run

Bricks = freezies. Or creamsicles, which the kids had all finished, which was quite the DISASTER.
Technically wasn't supposed to do a brick but it got all hot and garbage and no way I was going to try and run at lunch. Then the run felt kind of amazing so I was really glad I did it!

Friday: 10.5k run

Managed to get like 10 good pics out of 20 seconds of video. Gotta love a nice sunrise.
Another great feeling run, which is unusual at 5:30 in the morning! Extra pep in the step is always nice to have.

Saturday: 99k bike; 2700m open water swim


Fab was supposed to do a 3 hour ride and I was supposed to do 4, so we split the difference and did 3:30. Also, I should have mapped it at 102 km because what was supposed to be 100 even was a km short, and I am not going to ride around a parking lot for a km to even out a bike ride. It was a nice ride overall, especially given neither of us was really enthusiastic about doing it. I think we are thinking ahead to the long ones we have coming up...

This girl! I've been following Krista on instagram for a while as she trains for Placid and we finally managed to get together for a workout. She inspires me so much and it turns out she's super cool and funny and awesome in person, too. 
Then in the evening I met up with Krista to try swimming at Christie Lake for the first time, as an alternate to Gullivers. It has advantages (as a conservation area, the water is actually tested for e coli, the staff are a lot friendly and happier to see you, real bathrooms) and disadvantages (more expensive if you don't buy a pass, the swim area is about 350m long so it's real easy to talk yourself into a shorter swim than planned - with Gullivers you are kind of locked in to a 1 km long loop once you get started). The water was super murky, but that's kind of expected this time of year anywhere other than Lake O. I'd happily swim there again and would probably pick it over Gullivers for any swim where I wasn't planning to bike after (the exit being onto Dundas/Hwy 5 makes it, IMO, not a great location for a brick, although it has lots of trails so it would be much better than Gullivers for running after swimming).

Strike a pose. Ignore the fact the tri suit feels a lot like you aren't wearing anything at all...
The swim felt good, but the real good news was my new tri suit felt great under the wetsuit. So it'll be getting a full try out at Welland on Saturday.

The scenery is prettier at Christie than gulliver's, too.
Sunday: 15k run



Up early before the whole 'feels like 43 degrees' thing could set in. Drank a good liter and a half on this 15k and was still 2 pounds lighter at the end. hot weather running is the worst.

Things you see on long runs that are very confusing. But Y tho?

so, pretty solid, and feeling a lot more rested today than I have for a while. Gotta rejig the schedule a bit this week because it's RACE WEEK! Back to Welland this weekend for another crack at the long course. Aiming to go under 4 hours this time, although so far the weather looks like it'll be raining so that's not super ideal. But lots of time for that to change...

2 comments:

  1. Hey Emma,
    tri suit looks like it fits really well (is that a weird thing to post?)
    Anyways, I've been looking for a suit like that too. Could you post what make/model it is and what store you bought it from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete