Monday, June 25, 2018

Ironman training week 25 - recovery part II

Been a long time since I had such a low weekly total for # of hours (I think I'd have to go back to December), but I did do a race, and the next 5-6 weeks shit gets crazy before I get into the taper (aiiieeee), so another down week seemed like a pretty good idea.

Swim: 9000m
Bike: 111k (3:42)
Run: 35k

Really low week on the bike and the run, but I think that will pay off in the bigger picture. The build plan was tiring and I think taking an extra week of recovery was the right choice.

Monday: 2150m swim

I swam on Monday? Why did I swim on Monday? Probably weather related to avoid a lunch run Tuesday? I have no memory of this but it seems like the most likely explanation.

Tuesday: 8k run; TR Jobs -2

The sunrises all week were OMG
Early morning run, mostly focused on taking a good picture for instagram, because that is my key priority, really.

Repeated last week's trainer ride in the evening because it was a good workout without being hugely taxing. I debated getting my FTP test done here, but why do today what you can put off until next week. Let your future self deal with that nonsense.

Wednesday: 12k run; 2700m swim



No really, the sunrises were crazy all week. Almost makes the 4:45 alarm worthwhile. Almost.

Went to the gym to swim in the evening. I wonder if the morning front desk lady missed me since I switched all my swimming around last week!

Thursday: TR Mont Albert +1

Solstice sunrise with kid #2
Did NOT get up and run, but my younger daughter was really into the idea of getting up to watch the solstice sunrise, so that's what we did! It was a little tiring for both of us (and surprisingly cold down by the lake) but it's something I'm really glad we did. Hopefully that'll be a nice memory for her.



In the evening I was kind of undecided about what workout to do, so picked the Thursday race week workout from one of the half ironman plans on the theory it would set me up nicely for a good bike Saturday (I did look at the race week workouts from the full distance plans, but ugh I am not ready for those yet). Can't complain about how it felt.



Then the kid wanted to go watch the sunset, too, so we bookended the day with Mother Nature showing off. That may be a new tradition for us, at least until she turns into a teenager who doesn't acknowledge the existence of things like 'mornings' (her sister's response to the invitation to join us was a look that could have curdled milk).

Friday: rest

Cause Saturday was RACE DAY!

Also, panic buying all the gels
Saturday: Welland long course triathlon - race report to come

Mixed bag on this race with it being mostly positive and one bigass error I made. Sometimes you learn your lesson about not prepping your bike at the last minute the hard way...

Sunday: 2100m swim



Was a little sore after Saturday's adventures (nothing too serious, but enough to know I worked hard!) so after a swim to loosen up I spent the rest of the day doing light housekeeping and laundry and baking brownies and such. The weather didn't cooperate for the long ride I had planned and doing it on the trainer seemed like the least appealing idea of all time, so I went with a bit more rest, which I'm now pretty happy I did. Rested up and ready to take on the last 8 weeks of training!

No comments:

Post a Comment