Things I have going for me:
1. An awesome group to run with, led by Nicole (who paced at Niagara last weekend and hit her goal within seconds, so I'm in good hands). In theory, I should just be able to shut my brain off, wedge myself into the group, and let them carry me through the race to that sub 1:50 half.
2. I feel like I'm in the best shape I've ever been. Better than when I ran the 1:51:19 at the Chilly in March for sure. (and that race I was also paced by Nicole, so clearly that works for me - if we get close to the end on pace I look forward to what sort of motivational yelling she comes up with)
3. So far the forecast looks like the sort of weather that ideally suits me. By which I mean fairly cold. Me and heat don't get along. Me and humidity REALLY don't get along. But cold, cold I like, as should be be obvious from the fact my half marathon PB is from a March race during the polar vortex.
4. My husband is running too, which is always fun (even if he'll likely be way ahead of me).
|We scouted out part of the course a few weekends ago. Yes sometimes we get a babysitter so we can run together. This is pretty much our idea of a great date.|
Things working against me:
1. Despite feeling like I'm in really good shape right now, the speed is just not coming easily to my legs. Runs where I attempt speedwork haven't felt great lately. Maybe race day magic will help.
2. My right leg has been a total asshole for the last week or so. Thank you, sciatica. It seems to be about 95% cleared up now, but if it flares up for Sunday I may have a problem.
3. While the course is a net downhill, there's an out and back section that did a number on my head last year. Running away from the finish is mentally tough for me, so I need to be prepared for that.
4. Speaking of mental stuff, my head isn't in the game. At all. I don't feel like I'm about to make a PB attempt. But hey, maybe being relaxed about the whole thing is just what I need?
So there it is. Last race of the year, and I really have no idea what's going to happen. New PB? Blow up bigtime? Your guess is as good as mine. Only one way to find out - run the damn thing.