Monday, March 21, 2016

Muskoka 70.3 build week 2

Another week done. Two weeks until Around the Bay, so it's time for everyone's favourite activity, agonizing over the weather forecast. Yay!

I'll allow it.


Monday: rest
Tuesday: 2100m swim; TR Shortoff +1 (1 hour - VO2 max intervals) + 3k brick run
Wednesday: 12k run; 2100m swim
Thursday: TR - McAdie (1:30 - over/unders)
Friday: 8k easy run; TR - Petit (1 hour - recovery)
Saturday: 27k easy run; 2000m swim
Sunday: TR - Phoenix (1:30 - tempo) + 7k brick run



Really solid week! I was somewhat surprised to realize, while poking around my Veloviewer stats, that that's the most running (distance wise) I've done in a week in a quite a long time. I ended up at 57k this week - the last time I ran that much was September of 2014! And what's amazing is how good it feels. I really think all the aerobic slogging I've been doing on the bike is paying off on the run. It just feels so much easier.

My favourite local climb
I also added a second brick workout in this week. I've been considering it for a while but I was kind of waiting for daylight savings time so I wouldn't have to do the weekday brick in the dark. I have no problem running before dawn, but I'm more reluctant to run on dark evenings - there's just so much more traffic in my neighbourhood in the evening. But now that sunset is later I'm more comfortable doing that run. I'll be keeping it short (3-5k) for a few weeks, though. No need to add on a long one there at this point.

My feelings on the week. Also fulfilling the awkward selfie quota for the week.
So running feels good, just in time for the big spring race. Can't complain about that. The bike is going well - loving the variety of workouts in the Trainerroad plan. A little VO2 suffering, some aerobic, some tempo. And of course, the return of over/unders, which are basically a little glimpse of hell.

My one regret on the week is we forgot to take any pictures on the group long run! What the hell, Sam, aren't you supposed to be on top of these things? My husband was able to come, and we convinced Zindine to make the trek to Burlington too. Just too bad Nicole couldn't join us.

A group picture would be better here than my pasty winter legs.
 Random food pictures because #hungrytriathlete:
Mmmmmm, granola. Needed a bigger bowl.
The whole food situation is a problem right now, really. Twice this week I woke up in the middle of the night starving and had to go eat a handful of almonds before I could get back to sleep. This is an issue!
TACOS OMG YUM
Stuffed my lunchbag so full I could barely close the zipper this morning - and it's all been eaten already.  Fueling without resorting to an all-junkfood diet is getting difficult.

So what's the plan for this week, other than eating all the things?

Monday: rest
Tuesday: swim, TR (VO2s) + brick run
Wednesday: some sort of interval or tempo run
Thursday: swim. TR (long tempo)
Friday: EZ run; TR (recovery)
Saturday: long run
Sunday: TR (long aerobic) + brick run

(since the workout names aren't very illuminating, I'm going to start listing the TR workouts by their purpose instead)

With the holiday weekend and all the travel we'll have to do to see family, swimming on the weekend probably won't happen. What can you do. Just hope I can fit everything else in!

2 comments:

  1. Between my ankle and Steve's vomit inducing coughing a group photo was the last thing on my min unfortunately. Maybe next time. LOL Sounds like it's time to stock your bedside table with snacks. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Between my ankle and Steve's vomit inducing coughing a group photo was the last thing on my min unfortunately. Maybe next time. LOL Sounds like it's time to stock your bedside table with snacks. LOL

    ReplyDelete