Monday, August 13, 2018

Ironman training week whatever - IT'S RACE WEEK

so that's it.

Didn't I just register for this thing? How is it race week already?

Excuse me, I'm going to go stare at the current weather forecast and try and will it into not changing, cause it looks pretty decent right now. Also, the water temps are just barely wetsuit legal at the moment so we're going to focus on maybe that coming down a few degrees, please.

THANKS FACEBOOK I FORGOT ALL ABOUT THAT

Training, right. Stuff happened. I dunno. Shoulder is still being a bit of an issue off and on and but it's not impacting my swimming at all so whatevs. Did physio stuff and had a massage and the back is quiet and cooperative, so I'm just over here running through my stretches and exercises very very quietly so as not to disturb anything. Will be a very light week this week up until Sunday. One TR workout, a short open water swim, one short run, and a very brief brick Saturday morning just to make sure the bike and body are on board with things.

Swim: 4000m
Bike: 193k
Run: 35k

Monday: rest day

Tuesday: TR - Sonora

Ah my favourite kind of TR workout; when it turns out the 'one minute recoveries' between intervals are only 50 seconds long because they steal 10 seconds out to ramp into the next interval. Damn it. Last round of tough VO2s. It hurt.

Wednesday: 10k run

Too early for the sunrise now :(
Morning run, felt good. Honestly I barely remember this.

Thursday: 2000m swim; TR Phoenix + 30 minute brick run




Short swim early. So weird to be done swimming that quickly...



Then the last brick in the evening. I was somewhat surprised how good the run felt, given it was reasonably humid out. But somehow it wasn't bothering me at all. it was only a half hour run, but it was still nice to not immediately wilt in the heat!

Friday: TR Petit

Very easy 1 hour spin. Super boring. Except we bought the digital copy of Infinity War so I had that to entertain me. Yes. I remain a huge Marvel nerd and will probably watch this movie 100 times...

Saturday: 90k ride; 5k run





Not a brick since the run was later in the afternoon. Last long ride with Fab, awww. Glad we were able to do this one together since it seemed appropriate. And I have to admit I kind of breathed a sigh of relief when it was done - no mechanicals or issues or run ins with crazy drivers! Just gotta get through the big one now!

Sunday: 15k run; 2000m swim



Met up with Nicole for an easy 15, although I have to admit I wasn't the most enthusiastic or chatty run partner. It's been a long training grind and frankly I'm glad it's done. And I'm super distracted with random thoughts popping into my head every 15 minutes like 'DID I PUT BODY GLIDE ON THE PACKING LIST??!'

Taking breaks for mid-run photo ops


But! Then she surprised me with an amazing pre-Ironman sanity maintenance kit from the girls, and yo I kind of cried a little. Runners/triathletes make the best friends. Between my girls Ivanka, Nicole, Amy, and Sam, amazing training partners like Fab and Christina, and friends/informal coaches/advisers like Zindine, plus lots of other people I've biked with, swum with, exchanged messages with, etc, there's a whole crew of people who had parts in my training at various points and man, it's just amazing to know there's people cheering you on every step of the way.

Awww. Mushy stuff. It's a whole journey, it really is. I LOVE YOU GUYS.

Anyway. Short swim at the gym later in the morning because I didn't have an OWS partner, but that's OK. I'll get in an OWS this week. Then a thorough cleanup on the bike because she's off with my parents tonight to make the trip to Quebec with them (they have more room in their vehicle, what with the not having to transport these kids around thing).

Bad Wolf gets a bath. I need to get a stand, it made things SO much easier!
So now it's just packing and checking and double checking my lists of stuff and a couple last minute trips to MEC and Dollarama for some nutrition stuff and other random items, and then it's going to be race time!! Will likely post quite a bit to Instagram once we head out, so follow along there especially in the stories to see what I'm up to. Will suggest to the husband he maybe toss some stuff up on his 'gram on race day as well.

1 comment: