Monday, January 15, 2018

Ironman training week 2

Solid week. The weather continues to be really weird in annoying ways, but that's winter in Canada. Always a good time.

Monday: REST

Tuesday: oh just a bit of everything

Swim: 2350m

Math error on this workout (4x25m does not equal 200m there book), and in trying to correct it to get the total distance right I managed to make it worse...

5:30am is early. Good swim, though. Helps when you basically sleep through the first half it.

Run: 8k



Out of the office for a lunch run. Flat, easy, slushy in spots as all the snow starts melting, but I'll take it over -20 any day.

Zwift: 35k

Um does anyone see the problem here? Check where your fan is pointing before you start...

New roads on Zwift! Although from what I saw (admittedly I was watching Black Mirror at the same time) it was pretty much just a tree lined road. Not super exciting. But it passed the time.

And then I went to bed and slept like the dead!

Wednesday

Run: 9k



My Timehop app informed me that 5 years ago this day was the first time I ever ran to Princess Point at lunch, so naturally Christina and I recreated that run. I am so spoiled for options for running at work!

Weights


40 minutes of the big 5 at the weirdly empty especially given that it is January gym. Squats, bench, deadlifts, rows, overhead press. Simple, quick, hits all the muscle groups. Get in, get it done, get the hell out.

Thursday

Run - 8k



The temperature climbed up to 12 degrees (WTF) so this run practically turned into a swim...

Zwift: 35k



Meh. I am about ready to get back to a Trainerroad program, I think. I need some structure to my cycling and Zwift is starting to bore me.

Friday

Swim - 1800m

GoPro FAIL.
Got the pool about 10 minutes later than I wanted and had to cut this one a little short, which I didn't really mind because everything about this swim felt awful. Just couldn't find my stroke. Plus the picture was a total fail, and everyone knows if you don't take a decent photo your workout might as well not even count.

Saturday

Zwift: 83 ish km

"I have how much longer left?"
Watched some Black Mirror and a few episodes of How I Met Your Mother. These long rides are all about going in with the mental attitude that 'today I will ride 2:30' (or whatever time) and then ignoring how much time has actually passed for as long as possible.

Also, snacks. Always have snacks.

Run: 8k

Only picture I manged before the phone froze up and died. 
It got stupid cold again. And everything froze. And now everything is all ice covered, which is a huge pain in the ass, but I found a nice paved 700m loop near my kid's basketball practice that had been reasonably well salted/plowed and ran around it for a while. Didn't even get dizzy. Nasty wind and SO DAMN COLD.

Sunday

Swim: 2300m

man this pool feels lonely some days. I should not complain about that because the opposite is much much worse...
A little endurance work to kick off Sunday morning, including a bunch of 50m kick drills without fins which were pretty much the definition of futility. When you are kicking your lungs out and barely making progress down the pool...well, suffice it to say my kick needs some work.

Run: 14k



This was a bit short because have I mentioned the ICE EVERYWHERE?! Gah. Ended up running 4k along the beach on the sand (!) because that was safer than the path. First time I've ever seen the Hamilton side of the beach trail in that bad a condition. Usually the city keeps it clearer :(



But at least I took lots of cool pictures! Makes things a little more fun trying to find those shots, and really if this isn't fun, why would I even bother doing it. Crossing my fingers things warm up a bit and I can go chasing sunrises again soon.

On to week 3! More of the same-ish, although hopefully a longer long run and more weightlifting. I skipped the second session this week to go buy a standing desk for my office, which I think was a better use of time in the long run. Assuming I ever get around to assembling it...

No comments:

Post a Comment